Monday, May 3, 2010

I've had better

A romance author that I really like recently wrote a new book. I downloaded it to my Kindle in preparation for a business trip I'm taking. Excited to have a new book to help pass the time in the airport and on the plane, I turned on my Kindle, chose the title and opened it up.

Much to my disappointment it's not a romance.
Well, there are "romantic elements" but it's definitely not a romance. It's about this woman's journey, other relationships and rediscovering herself.

Hey, that's great. Seriously. I like these stories and would have likely still picked this particular book up. But I would have liked for the description, title and author's reputation not to lead me to believe it's a romance.

It's like a "romantic" movie where either the hero or heroine dies.

Or the book where 3/4 of the book is spent on the story of one guy and girl, only for them to break up and for the girl to end up with another guy at the end (the second guy was better for her, by far, but I didn't have a chance to get to know him as well so didn't get that feeling of "ah" when the h and H finally got together). (Yes, this is a real book... again, no names! :))

Or like the build up to some "fantastic" CD or dessert or... anything... only to try it yourself and think "I've had better".

I hate that!
Nothing like a big let down.

So, one of my goals as a writer is to be sure to represent my work accurately and to not let anyone down!

What's something that an author can do that will make you feel let down? Is it in how she solves the mystery or the problem between the characters or in how they finally profess their love?

Will you give the author a second chance? A third?
I will definitely give this author another chance. She's great. And the story was great. I'm glad I read it, even if I was "tricked" into it! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment