Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Meet the Hero-- Adam from No Matter What

Adam Steele is a stubborn, dedicated single dad. He's also head of his family's company which has made him a millionaire and used to using his money to get his way. He thinks that's what he's getting when Jaden Monroe agrees to privately rehabilitate his daughter in exchange for the one million dollars she needs to finish the pediatric rehab wing at the hospital. But he quickly learns that he's not getting his way at all. Of course, that doesn't stop him from trying! Here's a scene where we get a peek into Adam's head and heart.



“What is this all about?” Adam demanded the minute Jaden arrived in his office.

The desire to kiss her was nearly as strong as the desire to shake her.

He wasn’t sure how much of her he could take.

“You are getting in the way,” she told him bluntly.

She had no idea how in the way he could get. “I refuse to let you do this to Emily.”

“I’m doing this to Emily? She’s becoming an invalid. Don’t you see? She doesn’t need that elevator. You should never have installed it.”

“She can’t go up and down the stairs in that wheelchair. What else could I have done?”

“You came up with a permanent solution to a temporary problem. The more permanent the fixtures—like an elevator—the harder it is for Emily to believe that her disability is short term.”

He leaned closer and glared at her. “Her lack of a leg is not temporary, Jaden.”

She gave a heavy, exasperated sigh. “It’s no wonder she thinks she’s a cripple. You have her labeled as one in your mind and you are treating her that way. No surprise that her rear end is glued to that chair.”

“I did not bring you here to judge me and my decisions. I’ve done my best for her.”
His best had always been enough too. Always. Emily had never had a need he couldn’t fulfill. Until now. He couldn’t give his daughter the only thing she really needed…her leg back.
But he could, by God, give her the chance to have her life back. “I brought you here to make her better.”

“Then let me. You can’t coddle her,” Jaden said. “I know that it must be hard seeing her unhappy and struggling, but you’re not doing her any favors.”

“She’s been through enough already, Dr. Monroe. I want this therapy to help her, not hurt and frustrate her.”

“I thought you were going to call me Jaden,” She said, her irritation clear. “You’ve both been through a lot. But now it’s time to get past it. It’s not going to get better unless Emily gets up out of that chair.”

“Lower your voice!” How could he want to kiss her even more now?

“No, she can hear this.”

Jaden stomped to the office door, which was open only a few inches. She swung the heavy door open as wide as it would go. “Everyone can hear this. Emily is not disabled.” Jaden proclaimed at the top of her lungs. “She is not crippled or deformed or anything else. And she will walk again. She will go up and down the stairs like everyone else, she will dance again, she will do all of the things that she used to do. As soon as everyone—especially Emily—believes it!”

Adam stalked to where she stood. She whirled to face him again and was clearly surprised to find him so close. Unable to stop himself, he gripped her upper arms and pulled her closer. His voice was thick when he spoke. “Do you believe it?”

Her eyes, swirling with emotion, made him forget that she was there as a professional therapist. Passion like that pulled at his deepest male instincts.

“Yes.” Her voice sounded ragged. “Yes, I believe it.”

He stared at her for another long moment. He wondered what she would do if he pulled her up against his body and showed her how she was affecting him. Then he released her, stepped back and sucked in a long breath.

This woman had the potential to make his life incredibly complicated.

“Dr. Monroe, if this job is more than you can handle, I would appreciate you being upfront about it. Emily’s been in that wheelchair too long. If I need to find another therapist, I’d like to get started.”

Jaden stared at him. “Are you firing me?” she asked.

“No. But if you’re going to quit…”

“I told you just a little bit ago that I’m not quitting, no matter what.”

He considered that for a long while, searching her eyes, trying to gauge her sincerity. She wet her lips, shifted from one foot to the other, and waited.

“Because of the money?” he finally asked.

It took a moment for her to form a response. “No. The money is very important to the hospital, but—no. I’m not going to quit because…”

He was certain that he would know if she fudged the truth, and even a half truth from this woman would disappoint him. He realized that he already had incredibly high expectations for Dr. Jaden Monroe and he wasn’t sure if he could take her being just another person who let him down. “Because?” he asked.

“Because I don’t think that you believe I can do this. I don’t think you believe that I’m the one who will help Emily walk again. And I want to prove you wrong.”

He watched her, the air between them heavy with something that felt a lot like expectation.

Finally, he gave her a simple nod. She spun toward the open door, where he could see Emily sitting in the foyer, staring at his office door.

“You ready?” Jaden asked the girl.

“For what?” Emily looked wary but carefully kept her tone pleasant.

“To learn to go up and down stairs.”

“Um…” Emily glanced up at the long, spiraling staircase.

“Great, I’ll meet you at the top. Enjoy your last ride in the elevator.”

No comments:

Post a Comment